Monday, September 12, 2005

Stuff about Malta

Well, by the time I finish "work" tonight (we're ridiculously slow at
the moment) I'll have been living here for pretty much exactly a week.
Time to write some more stuff.

Living in Malta is pretty good. I'm slowly adapting to the climate,
the water (tap water is rather foul and water pressure is somewhat
variable), and the fact that one Lira is actually enough money to buy
two cans of drink (one can of banana juice and a can of coke) and a
chocolate bar.

The pace of life in Malta is a little slower than I'm used to. When I
was a teenager, I knew a small block of precooked noodles and stock
powder as "two minute noodles". During the ski season in Fernie I knew
it as "breakfast, lunch, and dinner". Here in Malta, they are "three
minute noodles".

Maybe it's just because they care more about food here and want to
infuse the noodles with more flavouring or something. Even the local
workman's cafe offers dishes like smoked salmon penne and the icecream
is divine (which is a little strange, since I doubt there's enough
grass on Malta to support even one cow). I still haven't tried rabbit
yet, so that's another thing to look forward to.

I have discovered why Mediterranian people tend to promenade - a much
slower and more deliberate action than just walking. If you try
walking in the Anglophone way then you get a sweaty back, almost no
matter how short the walk is. The Anglophone way is walking like
you're in a hurry to get where you are going, even if you aren't going
anywhere. That said, the concept of walking without having anywhere to
go is also fairly foriegn to us Saxons.

--
www.kiwinomad.blogspot.com

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they
have to say something. - Plato

"I'd just like to say..." - Me


Comments:
That's gonna be an awfully long trip to get back here from my bash :)

Cheers. Hope everything goes great there. Still reading along.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?