Friday, July 29, 2005

Me Hamster

It might be that I'm not sleeping as well as I used to in my younger days, it might be that I am working too hard (don't laugh, it is possible).

Whatever the reason, there's a part of me that feels like a hamster. I'm inside my little wheel and I'm running as fast as my stumpy little legs (OK, that part of the metaphor isn't particularly apt) can carry me.

Realistically I'm making progress, if only in padding my anaemic bank account. But there's a part of me that wants a change of scenery.

I seriously doubt the literacy standards of some parts of the world (that would be the good old USA for those of you who can't guess). Although before anyone invades my appartment and forces me to hold elections, I'm sure there are plenty of idiots elsewhere in the world, they just haven't been emailing me recently, thankfully. The last few days people have been asking questions that are answered in the first sentence of the email they are quoting to reply to me.

Seriously people, ARE YOU ON DRUGS? I might be a fairly verbose individual (it's what I'm paid for after all) but not even reading the first sentence?? What do you expect me to do? Make an instructional video for you and send it by Fedex? Hire an ilegal immigrant to come round to your house and explain things with a handy flowchart?

It's not rocket science.

I'm starting to truly understand the truth of the old saying that "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the general public."

By the way "the customer is always right" is roughly equivalent to "the emperor has new clothes". It's something we all pretend to to believe because it protects us from the wrath of morons.

To contiunue today's aphorism laden post, never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

I have suggested in the past that good people should get more votes (an idea inspired by the Texan pilot in Catch 22). Seriously. Democracy is nice and all that, but the idea that my vote is worth the same as some random mouth breather appalls me.

We're talking the kind of person who calls into talk radio to complain about Asian immigrants. In case you wanted to know, Asians are all bad drivers and they spit in the street and they are all good at math and their eyes are too close together and they don't speak English (although a large proportion of the Western world's "Anglophone" population don't seem to be able to speak English beyond a remedial reading level any more) and they eat dogs and are part of Triad gangs and they are taking our jobs and putting up signs in "Asian" [I'm afraid I've usually tuned out long before this point of the rant].

Actually, I just checked google, and it appears that everyone's favourite racist has moved on to abusing Muslims now.

I'm not trying to say that I'm a model citizen, I'm definately not top flight (I probably only deserve two or three votes, not six or seven), but I like to think that my opinion is more considered, informed, and logical than some peoples.

Anyway, that little rant was a nice, somewhat unexpected break in my daily routine. On a related note - I hope my mother has remembered to deal with my voter registration. New Zealand has an election coming up, and I may as well use my vote for what little it is worth.

For the record, I'll probably vote for the Greens, because they seem the least dishonest, and I think trees are nice, which seems to be a cornerstone of their policies. They're a bit too touchy feely and PC for me, especially on Treaty issues, but most of the other parties disgust me.

OK, that's my monthly politics post out of the way, next time we'll go back to discussing grocery shopping and people who suck at the internet.

Comments:
I consulted the oracle, the quote goes: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." Though it is ascribed variously to HL Menken and PT Barnum or somebody... but then you're having an anti-racist day...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?