Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Well, I wasn't missing much

I went up the hill for the first time in a couple of weeks. I went up a little late (I'm still readjusting to going to sleep before 2am). By a stroke of luck, I got to the car park at almost exactly the same time as some of the people I work with.

I am a big fan of riding by myself. Especially on powder days (the few that this depressing dry winter has provided), it's great to go at your own pace, do what you want, and not have to worry about being cool, or anybody else. Riding alone is snowboarding in its purest form - a guy, a board, and a steep (or not) patch of snow.

But, on days like today, it's easier to ride with a group.

Today was slushy, choppy (you can see the moguls from town which is 5km away), and coverage is fading fast. It's fun for a while, but it's better to suffer through it in a group.

I discovered today that I am a big fraidy-cat. Actually, it's something I've known for a long time. Today just confirmed it. I actually hit a rail so slowly that I stalled at the top of the on-ramp. Sure, the snow was very sticky, but really, it's kind of sad that I checked my speed that much on the run in.

I also decided not to hit a 30 foot booter (a booter is basically just a ramp, I think)... twice! Yep, I even hiked up so I could chicken out again. I'm chicken of the year.

I just wasn't riding very well today. I wasn't riding badly (I nailed one smooooth nose-roll off a small bump and rode out switch - usually I slam the board down hard, jam my ankles, and pretty much stop), but I wasn't riding well. I was just kind of there.

Still, it was a nice change to get out of the house. It's ironic - the east of Canada, large parts of eastern USA, the California resorts, and Japan are all having epic snowfalls while our part of the world has had the dryest winter in 50 years (well, except for all that RAIN).

Ahh well, it's nearly summer anyway.

Comments:
It's even been snowing in Birmingham, for days on end! (It never, hardly, snows in Brum.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?